Friday, April 15, 2016

I just received a copy of the newly released Walt Disney’s Alice in Wonderland: An Illustrated Journey Through Time by Mark Salisbury. This is typically the type of book I would have loved to get as a kid to introduce me to Disney history and to Disney concept art. Disney historians will find very little new in it (although there are a few pieces by Mary Blair that I do not remember having seen elsewhere and there is one page on the Hudson commercials that did attract my attention) but the book is very nicely produced and quite comprehensive. A really handsome gift for any son, daughter, niece or nephew who enjoys Alice and is starting to develop an interest in Disney history.

6 comments:

Christian S. said...

Being an Alice-fan, this surely is a "must-have" for me :D

Matt said...

While the art for the Hudson commercials is nice to see, the captions and attribution are wrong. The Hudson commercials were in front of the Disneyland TV show in 1954 (remember, car model years are actually on sale the autumn before), and the artist (or at least the design) is Tom Oreb.

Christian S. said...

Loving the book, although it could include an anecdote found in Disney Animated APP for the iPad, that the Mad Hatter is caricatured after Ed Wynn.

Christian S. said...

Another interesting fact that I found about Alice in Wonderland, is
that there are similarities between Alice Falling Down the Rabbit
Hole and a visual gag from the Oswald cartoon Oh, What A Knight, where Oswald's love interest uses her dress as a parachute, just like Alice

Jess K. said...

Thanks for sharing these reviews! I have bought several books after reading about them from you. I'm going to pick one of these up soon!

lou c ball said...

any pictures inside the old Alice ride?